facebook  twitter  linkedin  vimeo  flickrpink  youtube  WRAR on Instagram  WRAR on Google Plus

Hurricane Dorian Resources

Hurricane Resources  



"A Disaster Recovery Plan," by REALTOR® Mag
American Red Cross (Get Help page)
Additional Resources (Rep. David Rouzer)
NCHousingSearch.org (helps locate available, affordable rental housing)

  • The federal government offers insurance for direct flood and flood-related damage under the National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP).
  • Homeowners insurance policies do NOT cover flood or rising water damage.
  • Some mobile home policies do provide flood coverage; check with your insurance agent or company to see if you're covered.
  • Some auto insurance policies may cover damage to your vehicle; check with your insurance agent or company to see if your vehicle is covered.
  • Regulatory authority over NFIP flood insurance policies rests with the Federal Emergency Management Agency, not with the NC Department of Insurance.
  • Visit NCHurriClaims.com to access storm-related insurance information and disaster assistance resources.
If I have storm damage, what should I do?
  • Contact your insurance agent or company as soon as possible to arrange a visit from an adjuster.
  • Before doing any repairs to your home, photograph and make  alist of the damage.
  • Protect your home from further damage by making temporary repairs only. Save any receipts for materials purchased for temporary repairs.
  • Do not have permanent repairs made until your insurance company has inspected your property, and you have reached an agreement on the cost of repairs.
If you HAVE flood insurance:
  • Contact your insurance agent or company to file a claim.
  • Document your damaged property.
  • File a Proof of Loss with your insurer within 60 days of the flood.
  • Call the NFIP Call Center at 888-379-9531 for questions and assistance.
  • Helpful information and policyholder resources are available on the NFIP Flood Smart website.
If you DON'T have flood insurance:
  • Call the FEMA Helpline at 800-621-3362 to apply for individual assistance and explore resources in your area (or visit DisasterAssistance.gov).
How can I avoid being a victim of a scam?
  • Always deal with licensed insurance companies, agents and adjusters. Ask to see identification or call the Department of Insurance to check license status.
  • Do not sign any blank application or claims forms.
  • Don't pay in cash for repairs; keep all your records and proof of payments.
  • Contact the NCDOI Criminal Investigations Division if you suspect someone of running a scam or defrauding the public so they can be investigated and prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law.
  • Call 888-680-7684 or visit NCDOI.com/EZ/ReportFraud