Hurricane Florence Damage, What Next?

If you have sustained severe storm or flood property damage from Hurricane Florence, We encourage you to apply for federal disaster assistance. Below is information to apply and more can be found at If you experience any issues with FEMA after you apply, make sure your next call is to the office of Senator Tillis at (919) 856-4630.

Returning To Your Home

Screen Shot 2018 09 20 at 3.39.55 PM

Major Disaster Declaration

FEMA announced that federal disaster assistance has been made available to the state of North Carolina to supplement state, tribal and local recovery efforts in the areas affected by Hurricane Florence. Residents residing in these counties are currently eligible for FEMA assistance and their applications can begin to be processed.

Disaster Recovery Centers will be opening in the affected areas. The centers offer in-person support to individuals and businesses in the counties included in the North Carolina major disaster declaration for Hurricane Florence and the subsequent floods. Recovery specialists from FEMA, the U.S. Small Business Administration, the state and other organizations will be at the centers to talk about assistance and to help anyone who needs guidance in filing an application. 

Click HERE to see a list of recovery centers open in North Carolina. 

14681984 10154156417074965 8282705859795680528 o

How To Apply For Aid

If you have any trouble or would like more guidance, please call my office at (919) 856-4630.

File a Flood Insurance Claim 

Screen Shot 2018 09 24 at 5 1.49.27 PM

Click HERE for more information on starting the flood insurance claims process.

Business Assistance 

Farmer Assistance 


What do I do if my home is damaged?

  1. If your home/primary residence has been damaged and you reside in a county under a presidential disaster declaration, you are eligible for FEMA housing assistance. FEMA provides housing assistance to individuals and families who have lost their homes as a result of a presidentially-declared disaster. By law, FEMA assistance cannot duplicate the assistance you receive from your insurance company, but you may receive assistance for items not covered by insurance.  If your home was affected by a major disaster, we recommend that you apply for assistance at, or call 800-621-3362 (800-462-7585 TTY) (multilingual operators are available—press 2 for Spanish).

How do I apply for FEMA assistance?

  1. Contact your private insurance and start documenting the damage. You are advised to photograph damaged property in order to assist in filing an insurance claim and do what is possible to prevent further damage to property (e.g., putting a tarp on a damaged roof), as insurance may not cover additional damage that occurs after the storm.
  2. Start your FEMA application even if your county has not been federally declared for Individual Assistance (IA). This will help speed up the process if counties are added to a declaration. Your application will be processed if your county is added to a declaration and FEMA determines you are eligible. To apply please Constituents may call the registration phone number at 1-800-621-3362; those who have a speech disability or hearing loss and use TTY, should call 1-800-462-7585 directly; for those who use 711 or Video Relay Service (VRS), call 1-800-621-3362.

Why isn't my county included in the disaster declaration?

  1. The state is still in rescue and human response mode and the initials designations were to get FEMA on the ground in a greater way than previously allowed. As flood levels dissipate and emergency management is able to assess the damage, the state is working with its FEMA partner on designations. These conditions don’t allow for damaged assessments but as we move into recovery mode state and federal officials will be assessing the damage and more counties are likely to be designated.
  2. You can still go to and apply for assistance. This will help speed up the process if counties are added to a declaration. Your application will be processed if your county is added to a declaration and FEMA determines you are eligible. There is a place on the website where you can put your address in and it will tell you if your county is eligible for Individual Assistance.